Saturday, December 10, 2011

How long does it take for a catalytic converter to completely damage an engine?

2003 Nissan Altima to be exact.





I just took my car into the Nissan dealership because something was obviously wrong with the engine and they told me that the catalytic converter had completely destroyed my engine's rings and it's going to cost me $5k+ to get a new engine.





I had a complete check-up at 100k miles and it's now at 115k, is that enough time for the catalytic converter to destroy my engine?|||Yes. If it was plugged up it would overheat the engine and could melt the rings. There's no way it should cost 5k for an engine. Don't go to the dealer. Get a second opinion.|||RUN, never in my life have I heard such BS! I had a clogged converter at 265,000 miles. The engine lacked power and even felt like the trans was starting to go. You do know your cars computer monitors for this problem, don't you? You have at least 2 o2 sensors. the second one is behind the catalytic converter and only monitors the difference between the other sensor to determine how clogged your converter is. Your check engine light would have been on long ago, you would have noticed it running like crap AND you still wouldn't have done any damage. RUN, get as far away from that place as you can. Get 2 more estimates and I bet it's nowhere near $5,000. Good luck!|||I never heard that a bad catalytic converter will destroy your engine? Did you understand they question? Maybe they want to rip-off I would go to a different repair shop and ask them to change your catalytic converter .





My Truck is a 5.9 engine in it got catalytic converter clogged it in nothing had happen all this years! My engine sound smooth in it got power!|||a catalytic can mas up a a motor in like 200,000 miles|||I dont believe it





change the converter, and see how the car runs|||sounds like bull pappy/why would that happen/need new place for check up

No comments:

Post a Comment