Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Catalytic converter ?

I have a 2000 vw passat and I think my catalytic converter is broken. I turned on my car one morning and my engine light came on but was flashing and smoke came out the exhaust. I turned off my car and never turned it back on. Its been two days since then. My question is it safe to drive my car?|||Im almost sure that your car wasn't producing smoke as you say! every morning all cars (especially if you are in a region with high humidity) produce apart from the smoke and some steam (it is the humidity that was on your exhaust). it is not used to see smoke caused from burned engine oil on the exhaust exactly after turning the engine on.


this model usually has problem with the lamda sensor. i think that when your fuel isnt good then this light is (on this model)|||If the light is on then that means your cat is going bad, it is still drivable although it is illegal to, the whole purpose of a catalytic converter is for the reduction of exhaust pollutants. It will not harm your car if smoke is coming out of the exhaust, it just means that the catalytic isnt doing its job, just like diarrhea hehe, your big intestine isnt doing its job, but still comes out fine. My advice would be to replace it asap so your o2 sensors wont fry out from the bad smoke. It is fairly cheap to replace also, it cost me a littler over 200 for my Impreza, goodluck!|||You did yourself a big favor by turning the vehicle off right away (most people wouldn't) Any time the check engine light FLASHES on a 1996 and later vehicle it means that you have a misfire that is severe enough to damage the catalytic converter! And the most common thing on the VW to cause an overly rich mixture is a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm allowing raw fuel to be sucked into the intake manifold. This is a lot cheaper fix than replacing the converter (About $1800.00 for a new converter on this vehicle)|||good job!! that is exactly what to do, turn the car off, and call the repair shop (I sure hope you have triple AAA if not, I suggest you get it if your car is more than a few years old, it will save you money in the long run I promise. Your mechanic needs to check out the car and diagnose the problem, I have answered several questions in the last several days where check engine lights come on, and they kept driving, and then something went really wrong and the car stopped in the middle of the freeway, when they should have turned the car off when the engine check lights pop on.


This is what check lights are for. Do not drive the car. ask a friend for a lift somewhere. best of luck.|||Try again. A bad cat doesn't cause smoke...





Is it safe to drive? No. Because it's probably a hefty mechanical problem if it's oil smoke could be blow by, if it's thick white smoke it's either a head gasket or possible a crack at the intake manifold.|||A cylinder could have failed due to a faulty injector or a head might be cracked. do not drive , do not pass go or collect $200 get it towed to a shop.|||Suggest you have towed to VW and get checked, sounds like something blew. If you've got comp. car ins. they'll reimburse tow. I don't think it wise to try starting again.|||If your light was flashing it means DO NOT DRIVE, do not start the car, get it towed and checked out. There is no leeway when the light flashes.|||you can drive without it. you will just be putting out a little smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment