Friday, December 16, 2011

Can a bad catalytic converter burn out the downstream o2 sensor?

I got a p0137 code from a scan performed on my '98 honda civic, meaning I have a bad secondary o2 sensor. I am afraid that the catalytic converter might be bad and burn out the new sensor I will put in. These o2 sensors are not cheap.Does anybody have any experience in this matter?|||Modern day catalytic converters are far superior to the bead types that came out years ago. These converters have a very long life span and normally only get plugged up if something else goes wrong with the car and isn't promptly addressed.





I would say from your prompt action replacing the faulty o2 sensor that your catalytic converter is OK.





If it is plugged you will definitely notice it from the poor drivability and stalling issues, not to mention that all too familiar "egg smell" you will have.





Hope this helps. Good luck|||You need to pull the 02 sensor and look at it. If carbon fowled then the CAT could be the problem and a new sensor will not solve the problem until you replace the CAT. Both parts are very expensive. I have found CAT's in JCWhitney much cheaper that most auto parts store, but shop around.|||Feasibly - it could get fouled out by a clogged/partially clogged catalytic converter.





I don't know if it would actually burn it out - you should be able to just pull it out and clean it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment