Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Catalytic Converter?

I have a 1989 Ford Probe (yep very old car!) The other day, the Catalytic Converter just fell off .....well, first of all, why this happened!! I have had lots of problem with my car but nothing ever just came off or fell..... So I took my car to the shop and I got an estimate of $550 including Cat, joining pipe, gasket and labor. Is this a reasonable price? I shopped for the catalytic converter on line but it was not that expensive, $150 average. Since this car is very old and I don't really want to spend too much money fixing it even thou I love my car. Should I visit some more shops to see if I can get less?? If I just let it be without it, would I get more problems? Please advise! thank you|||Since i am not a certified mechanic,,I will answer.





I would just patch the area between that and the muffler. If you don't live in a state or county that has emission inspections I would do it... And for all the tree huggers It has never ever been any proof that exhaust emissions lead to global warming... They got rid of regular leaded gasoline and added these catalytic converters... and apparently it still doesn't matter... So if you can get away with just welding a pipe in its place do it... I know of quite a few Mustang GTs that have no cats and air pumps disconnected and it only made them run better... IF you must get it fixed for emissions reasons.. I would buy a Cat yourself,, and go to various garages that can weld it on... You should have to pay more then $50,, I have had plenty of things welded and it was only $20-$50 .. You may want to avoid exhaust places Here,, because they would just love to sell you their stuff.. IE that $450 ,,, ching gow you should be able to get duals and stainless at that for that much...








Good Luck|||some junk yards can sell you a complete exhaust. If your in a state that doesn't make manditory annual vehicle inspections... who's to know you donut passed the catylitic converter?|||I don't know repair estimating but the catalytic converter is under the car, so it can be hit by anything run over, bumped against curbs and rocks, or (especially if you drive in snow because of the salt) the pipes holding it just plain corroded away over the 18 or so years the car has been around.





Without it, you'll never pass an emissions test and risk whatever your state has set as penalties for noncompliance with the standards. Also, with exhaust exiting from under the car and not the rear, you can also risk carbon monoxide entering the cabin.|||1989 is not old at all.... the price which includes labor is a good price. I would get it done if I were you and plan on holding on to the car for a while. Man I was born in the 60's and im not old... LOL!!|||i got a new cat installed for 350ish. shop around.|||well i look around, an see if you can find one a little cheaper, too, , you may not know this, but you can sell the old catalytic, an get some of your money back,,, they sell high, , ,|||check the salvage yards.sometimes you can run onto a fairly new cat and exhaust and wont cost that much.usually when someone junks a car,its not because of the cat.|||pipes rot out thats why it broke. as for a reasonable price 550 is kinda high i would suggest trying a couple more shops. the job is worth 350.00 installed.ive sold quite a few at that price.

No comments:

Post a Comment