Saturday, December 10, 2011

What is damaging my catalytic converter?

I've had to replace my catalytic converter in my '95 ford explorer two years in a row and it has gone bad again. The NOX level is too high to pass inspection and the tech indicated the converter is again at fault. I'll have it replaced but I need help in order to find out what is causing the damage.|||High oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), is generally a result of high combustion chamber temperatures. First thing I would ask is do you have any issues with the engine running hot? If so, I would find out what is wrong with the cooling system and get it fixed. Otherwise, I would ensure that everything in the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system works properly. Here are some suggestions I would dish out as far as what to look at. If equipped, I would ensure that the vacuum lines go it are intact, and serviceable. Also if equipped, I would ensure that all the electrical components work. Lastly, I would remove the EGR valve itsels and ensure that the insides are clean of carbon and not stuck shut. If this wouldn't work or any obvious defects are seen, I would then replace it.|||I'd love to know exactly what brand and type of motor oil or additives that you've been using. Oxygen sensors (2 of them) mass air flow sensor, zinc and phosphorus oil additives and or Racing motor oil will do it every time.|||The engine has a problem that is causing the cat to go bad. A good diagnostics test would probably point you at the problem. My bet is that the coil pack is bad and dumping unburned gas into the exhaust and burning there.|||one of two things to much unburned gas or the suv uses to much oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment