Saturday, December 10, 2011

Is it legal to purchase a catalytic converter and have it installed at a muffler shop? I live in Plano, TX?

I have a 1994 BMW and I can purchase the catalytic converter from Bavarian Autosport. My question is if Texas Law allows me to take the catalytic converter to a muffler shop to have it installed. I live in Plano, TX, where they do emissions testing.|||its perfectly legal as long as the cat lives up to the emissions standards of your state, i know in california, you need a special catalytic converter as opposed to normal ones, but when my car needed a new cat, i just bought a new OBD2 cat from a local autoparts store and had a local exhaust shop weld it in place, be cautious of high flow cats and things like that, odds are its just a test pipe and 99.9% of the time, it will fail the inspection because its not performing where it should be|||Yes, so long as the cat is new (Federal law prohibits the installation of a used catalytic converter on a vehicle) and complies with the local regulations.





Whether your local muffler shop will be willing to install a part you didn't buy through them is a different issue.





Richard|||Why would it be illegal? Who else is going to install it?





So long as the catalytic converter meets the state emission standards, you can have it installed by anyone or do it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment